Take the time now to get yourself even more beautiful for Christmas
You know what I'm going to say, don't you? Yes, that's right it's now only 8 weeks to go until Christmas Day! Stop screaming - 8 weeks is still better than 8 days, right? OK, so let's get a wriggle on and start our plan to look the best version of ourselves this Christmas.
1. Book your Christmas hairdresser appointment now! Stop reading and get on the phone now. Christmas is probably one of the busiest times for hairdressers and if you want to make sure you get your locks cut, coloured and styled before 25 December then you need to make an appointment now, today, this minute - got it?
2. Check your diet. Especially in the lead up to Christmas, it's pretty easy to let your usual healthy eating go and replace it with lots of indulgent food and drink. Now I'm not going to be a party pooper and tell you not to enjoy this time of year, but what I will say is to make sure that on the days when you don't have parties and events, make sure you're eating right. You know the deal, lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, protein, water. Just in case you need a refresher, check out the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating.
3. Have an 'at home' spa day. Sometimes it so easy to get caught up in the Christmas festivities that you forget about taking time out for yourself. So how about you schedule some time in your diary for an 'at home' spa day? The secret to these special days is all in the preparation. Take some time either the night before or early on your spa day to create your very own 'at home' spa experience. Make sure all your beauty produces are readily available in your bathroom and have enough clean, fluffy towels to luxuriate in. Make sure your bedroom is a haven. Dim the lights, light some fragrant candles, put on some gentle music, have your robe and slippers ready on your bed and put some towels down on your bed so you can relax while your face and hair masks are on.
First start with a warm shower, body scrub, hair shampoo and hair treatment mask. Next, it's time to have a facial cleanse, steam, exfoliation and steam, followed by your favourite facemask. Now lie down on your bed and relax for as long as you like. When you're ready, get up, take off your face mask and jump into the shower to wash our your hair treatment. While you're in the shower take time to shave your legs and underarms so they are nice a smooth. Ok, time to give those feet some attention. If you can, make time to see your podiatrist before your spa day. They do a fabulous job in getting your feet into tip-top condition. Say goodbye ugly cracked heels and hello to soft, pretty feet. Now you can give yourself a pedicure. While your nail polish is drying on your toes, it's time to get to work on your hands and nails and give yourself a manicure. I bet you'll be feeling fantastic by now so why not congratulate yourself for taking time out just for you and have a lovely ice-cold glass of champers. Enjoy!
4. Treat yourself to a massage. Sure you can DIY your own massage but to me, it isn't the same. So do yourself a favour and book in some time with your favourite massage therapist in the lead-up to Christmas!
5. Get enough sleep. It's tempting to rush through Christmas and either stay up a bit later or get up earlier in the attempt to try and get everything done before the big day. But don't sleep is just as important and exercise and good nutrition. If you have things on your mind that are keeping you from getting to sleep, you know probably working out all the chores you need to do tomorrow in preparation for Christmas, then write a list late afternoon for things to do tomorrow and then, let it go. Similarly, if you wake in the middle of the night and keep thinking about things, have a notebook and pen by your bed so you can write them all down. Hopefully, that will take the things off your mind and you can settle back down into sleep. If sleep still eludes you, then give these sleeping tips a try.
6. Looking good on Christmas morning. Oh my goodness the alarm's gone off, it's Christmas Day! Well if you've got children and/or grandchildren the reality is that it wasn't the alarm that woke you - it was probably the kids at 4.00 am! Well, Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas! Your Christmas Day begins! If you're anything like me, after a night tossing and turning in bed, I wake up looking like Drop Dead Fred! Well, that's OK but in these days of mobile phones, be warned your just-woke-up-look may feature on someone's Facebook or Instagram feed! So here are a few tips to make sure you look Christmas morning ready, both in-person and online! Preparation is the key!
Wash and style your hair the nights before.
Take off all your make-up before bed & moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!
Wear your good sleepwear to bed.
Have your robe and slippers waiting at the end of your bed.
In the morning, splash your face with cool water.
Clean your teeth.
Brush your hair.
Put on some light lip gloss.
Put on some crazy, dangly, Christmas earrings and you are good to go!
7. Don't sweat the small stuff & remember to smile. I know easier said than done! But in the midst of all the Christmas wrapping discarded over the floor, the phone ringing, the oven beeping, you've got to find your calm. Remember Christmas is a time of giving, a time of joy, a time of peace. So find your peace, give up on perfection, don't sweat the small stuff, breathe, and smile.
I do hope you are enjoying this Christmas Countdown series. I'll be back next week with Christmas Style and what to wear to get you into the Christmas spirit!
Til next time,